Staff development and recruitment
Aerospace Cornwall can help you with dedicated recruitment programmes that tap in to skilled labour, and graduate programmes from Falmouth University and University of Exeter sites in Cornwall.
The county benefits from 25% lower average people costs than the rest of the UK, with a geographically loyal workforce.
Sector value proposition
Cornwall has massive potential and has already established key aerospace capabilities, including:
- Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) testing facilities with access to restricted airspace
- Spaceport Cornwall – the complete launch and tracking solution on course to create 450 new jobs
- Enterprise Zones at Cornwall Airport Newquay and Goonhilly Earth Station
Cornwall’s tech capability is on the climb, with nearly 2400 jobs in digital tech and digital tech turnover up by 32% from 2014 to 2017*.
Aerospace Cornwall can help you gain access to restricted airspace offering beyond visual line of sight testing, and access to the UK’s Spaceport supply chain for horizontal launch.
* Source: Technation 2018
Skills and research facilities
Cornwall has seen significant investment in bespoke skills development programmes such as the International Aviation Academy and the Launchpad programme, and is home to the Satellite Applications South West Centre of Excellence.
Cornwall has world-leading higher education facilities, and has the only campus in the UK where three Higher Education providers are co-located (University of Exeter, Falmouth University and Plymouth University). Research capabilities include:
- Launchpad incubator programme creating elite teams to create high-tech, success-driven start-ups that work alongside strategic partners to develop market-led solutions
- DroneLab research-group focus on high quality, quantitative aerial data.
Funding for R&D, market research and feasibility studies is available through AeroSpace Cornwall.
Sourcing business premises in Cornwall
Cornwall is not only great for space business, it has plenty of space FOR business – available workspace with £600m investment in infrastructure development.
There are significant financial incentives and planning freedoms across five Enterprise Zone sites. You could benefit from:
- Business rate relief up to 100% for 5 years
- Planning-free environment on building infrastructure
- Building tenancy and plot options available
- Superfast broadband connectivity
- 3 flights daily to London Gatwick
Activities to support and attract investment
We have an established Inward Investment team, Invest in Cornwall, that has been running for several years with proven track record and dedicated experts across marine, agritech, digital, aerospace and space and e-health sectors.
We are able to provide market access, engaging network and industry groups and memberships bodies.
The AeroSpace Cornwall programme works alongside and can leverage support from a range of other programmes including, but not limited to Invest in Cornwall, Marine and Agritech R&D programmes and Spaceport Cornwall as well as expertise from national and local universities (Exeter, Plymouth and Falmouth).
Cornwall is an established leader in superfast internet connectivity. Did you know around half of all the fibre-to-the-premises connections in the UK are in Cornwall? The first phase of Superfast Cornwall provided an estimated £275 million annual boost to the economy of Cornwall. Phase 3 started in Spring 2018.